Sunday, December 25, 2011

Holiday Cookies 2011, Part 1

I'll fully admit it - baking is not always my favorite thing. The exactness of the measurements, the mess I make in the kitchen, the fear of leaving the food in the oven for too long and burning - it gives me some serious anxiety!

Luckily, I've realized that practice makes perfect, especially when it comes to baking cookies. Below is my favorite holiday cookie I made as presents for friends and family. It was a great, personalized touch and I'm happy I made the effort to embrace baking more! Hopefully in 2012, you will see some sweeter options in the blog. In the meantime
, enjoy!

Mint M&M Cookies (adapted from Treasures from Brenda)
(makes about 40 cookies)

Ingredients

1 cup of soft butter (it is critical that it be soft)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed l
ight brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups regular all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
9-ounce package of mint M&Ms (found at most supermarkets during the holidays)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cookie sheets
2. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and the sugars until light and fluffy.

3. Beat in the egg and the vanilla.
4. In another bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
5. Stir in M&Ms
6. Using a small spoon,
drop cookies of about one heaping teaspoon onto your cookie sheets, making them about two inches apart.
7. Bake for 10 to 13 minutes (mine were perfectly cooked in 11 minutes). Be sure to remove before they become too brown - they can burn quickly!
8. Cool on cooling racks and then enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment